Annons:
Taggeneral
Read 972 times
Leia
2019-03-13 23:55

The Dangers of Fast Fashion

Here are 7 astonishing facts on how our culture of fast fashion harms the environment:

1) The fashion industry causes 10% of all greenhouse gas emissions,  producing more emissions than international flights and shipping combined (Ellen MacArthur Foundation).

2) Every second, one garbage truck full of textiles is burned or sent to landfills (Ellen MacArthur Foundation), and three in five items bought are thrown away within a year (McKinsey)

3) Washing one synthetic garment releases about 2,000 plastic microfibres (Browne et al., 2001), which enter the ocean and the food chain (Ellen MacArthur Foundation).)

4) It takes 2,700 litres of water to make one cotton shirt (National Geographic that's what one person drinks in 2.5 years.

5) Making and washing one pair of jeans emits the same CO2 as driving 69 miles (Levi Strauss & Co)

6)120 million trees are cut down every year to make clothes and 30% of the rayon and viscose used in fashion comes from endangered and ancient forest (Rainforest Action Network).

7) Up to 16% of the world's pesticides are used in cotton farming every year, the chemicals degrade soil and pollute water as well as poison cotton pickers (Ellen MacArthur Foundation).

You can Help reduce the impact of fashion by buying fewer clothes, choosing natural fibres and recycling what you discard!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Evelina
2019-03-14 09:13

And synthetic fabrics like nylon and polyester are petroleum based! Which is obviously not environmentally friendly, anything creating a demand for fossil fuel is bad. I am surprised to say that I didn’t find this out until the course I started two months ago.

Leia
2019-03-14 21:53

#1 I didn't know that one either!HorrifiedIt's shocking how little we are educated on the matter.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Scroll to top
Annons: